Thursday, February 18, 2010

That's Just Sick!

The past week has been spent dosing and dispensing, propping and relieving.  Last Thursday I took Archer to the doctor's office after a persistent fever, cough and wheezing took over his body.  They tested him for RSV, which came back negative, but the accuracy rate of the test is only 90%.  Archer's pediatrician suspected that he did in fact have RSV even though the test came back negative, so she started him on regimen of anitibiotics, steroids and nebulizer treatments.  The steroids made him grouchy and I really miss my happy little boy!  We ended the steroids on Tuesday of this week, so I'm hoping that he starts to come back around.  Jed stayed home with the kids on Friday and I stayed home with Archer on Monday.  It was a rough couple of days because Archer was so miserable and because of the steroids, his sleep was disrupted, so he was up in the middle of the night to eat (which has hasn't done since Thanksgiving).  On Sunday I noticed that he went on hunger strike and by Monday he was still not eating and was really wheezy yet, so I called the doctor and she wanted to see him in her office again. When the nurse weighed him, he only weighed 14 lbs. 2 oz. - down from the 15 lbs. he was at just 4 short days earlier!  Almost a whole pound!  All that work I put into growing him when I was pregnant - GONE, just like that!  That had them worried.  She suspected that he wasn't eating because he had a belly full of phlegm and just wasn't hungry, so we were instructed to dilute his formula to thin his mucous membranes and to give him clear liquids as often as possible to keep him hydrated.  He has slowly gotten his appetite back and by last night he was voraciously eating cereal along with his bottles.  My boy is coming back!  God is good!

On another happy note, I do believe that we can now officially say that Nora is potty trained!  YAY FOR NORA!  Besides nighttime yet when she still wears a pull up or diaper, she goes to the bathroom by herself now (even poop!).  I am so thankful to have that hurdle out of the way.  It really only took about 4-5 days for her to really catch on.  She did have an accident last night, but it's because she couldn't get her pants down fast enough, so guess what I was cleaning out of her underwear last night?  I'll give you a hint:  it rhymes with "goop".  But I can't be mad at her for that.  It was somewhat my fault because I had too much faith in her independence.  But I am so proud of her!!!  Lately I have been looking at her and wondering where my baby went.  I think back to the very first time I held her in my arms and heard her cry - what a lovely sound that was!  (Now when I hear her cry I wonder where my earplugs are!  Just kidding.)  I just can't believe what a big girl she is already - she's supposed to stay little forever.  But just last night she was already starting to boss daddy around (not the first time, however).  She would shake her finger at him and tell him to "Watch your mouth daddy!".  Hmm....think she hears that from mommy's mouth much?!  (I will try to post the video of her doing it later).  It got even better.  After awhile she was shaking her finger and shouting, "Watch your fricking mouth daddy!".  Hey, at least she didn't use the real "F" word!  Jed and I just had to laugh because here is our 2 year old daughter telling us to "watch our fricking mouths". 

A True Nora Story:  The other morning while brushing Nora's hair, she said something to make me laugh and I told her she was silly.  She replied, "No Mommy.  I'm not silly.  I'm a pain in the butt". 


  1. Hi Becca! That's too funny about the "pain in the butt" comment! I tell Timmy that too. But now he calls me a pain in the butt. Where do they come up with that stuff?!! It's great keeping up with you on your blog. It sounds like you're all doing well! Take care!

  2. Sorry, I didn't know how this thing worked and I don't have a google account--this is from Angie (Brehm) Ruden.