Thursday, July 01, 2010

Wednesday's Fiasco


Recently, Wednesday’s are the night of the week that I look forward to the most because of our park playdate.  However, last night turned into a disastrous fiasco I won’t soon forget.  A bit of back-story first.  I think in all of Archer’s 9 months of life, I have changed 4 really messy diapers, the rest being clean little formed nuggets of poop for us to clean up.  So yesterday when we got home from daycare and he had a really pungent and unpleasant diaper, I assumed either a) he has a stomach bug, or b) he is teething.  Fast-forward a few hours to just past dinnertime.  Nora yells that she has to go poop so she runs into the bathroom and I hear a loud shriek.  She comes running out of the bathroom with her pants and underwear around her ankles as though she is being pursued by an enraged bull .  She had diarrhea and didn't make it to the toilet in time.  Great, grand, wonderful.  I asked her if her stomach hurt, but she said she was ok.  I got her cleaned up and off we quickly went to the park with Jed for his horseshoe league and our weekly playtime.  We got to the park and without so much as even asking if she could go play, she was running full speed towards the playground equipment.  Archer and I set up camp next to the playground equipment where I was enjoying my latest Jen Lancaster memoir and Archer was having himself a hearty snack of Cheerios.  We were there for about an hour and a half when Nora and Archer’s daycare provider, Codi, showed up with her mom and aunt.  In a flash, I see Nora on the playground and I could tell she had to go to the bathroom as she was doing “the potty dance”.  So I made haste and got her to the bathroom.  She made it in time and it was solid.  Phew!  All seemed fine, but my mother’s intuition kicked into high gear and I got the feeling she just wasn't quite done yet so I asked her if she had to still go.  Nope.  She insisted that she was done.  I asked yet again.  Nope.  Done.  So we went back outside and back up the hill.  She literally stepped one little foot onto the playground and screamed, pulled her shorts and undies down around her ankles, and began yelling for me.  She crapped her pants again.  Diarrhea.  And then it was down her leg.  Wow.  What a scene.  I had to hand Archer over to Codi's mom Ellen and clean the wailing Nora up with wipes as best as I could  Luckily her shorts had averted the major disaster and remained clean, so I put those back on her.  I took her down to the bathroom to wash her up with soap and water.  So you’re probably wondering what the back-story of Archer at the beginning was for.  I suppose I’m wondering if the kids have a stomach bug or of Archer is just teething.  Just a coincidence that he happens to have one of his infrequent putrid diapers the same day that his sister has a legendary display of embarrassment?   After all of that, she was fine.  Me?  The jury's still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment